Monday, 26 August 2013

Bank Holiday

And finally the sun comes out on our bank holiday weekend! I wanted to take a quiet moment this morning to sit and feel the warmth of the sun on my back and sip on a cup of coffee. Feeling that heat take over your body when the sun comes out to play is a rare pleasure and it has a way of making you feel incredibly relaxed and takes over your body like someone giving you a long and comforting hug.

It's also very nice to see the sun come peeping out from behind the clouds as there was nothing but rain after rain after rain on Saturday, the sort that billows down on every exterior surface and sounds like a thousand stampeding horses and all you can do is watch from the safety of your home for the fear you could possibly drown if you dare to walk outside! The rain was actually relentless and as I watched from inside as the pond started to reach the point of overflow and the fish would have been swimming around the garden, I was blissfully unaware of what was happening outside the safety of my four walls. My local area was becoming a bit of a disaster zone and reservoir, and brook banks were bursting sending water flooding everywhere.

Later Saturday night I saw the pictures of  flooded underpasses and people losing their cars under feet of water, and I felt the little tingle in the back of my throat as I realised the rain had caused a lot of damage to some peoples homes and businesses.

I'm sure the sun is being welcomed by a lot of the locals right now, even more so than usual.

It's funny how so often it takes something bad to happen before you appreciate what you have to be grateful for, and the simple things can put a smile on your face. I am smiling as I write this because I have glanced up at a vase of beautiful peach coloured rose that are just beginning to bloom. They represent love and appreciation to me because they were given to me by my boyfriend at the airport after I had spent a few days in Glasgow for work. He missed me and I missed him, and his thoughtfulness means more to me than he could ever understand because I wasn't lucky enough to have that at all in my past relationship, so I really don't take it for granted at all now because I honestly never thought I would have a love like this.

So for all of you reading this today, stop for a brief moment and think about some of things you are lucky enough to have, friends, a loving family, a beautiful relationship, freedom, and now spare a thought for those out there who aren't fortunate enough to have those things.

Enjoy the rest of your bank holiday guys!


stories of an english rose




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, I love to read them