Thursday, 11 October 2012

Winter Woes and Warmers

I am starting a new series for the chilly months. I have decided to call it winter woes and warmers because I am going to go through a few beauty problems that arise when the weather turns colder and also some warming winter recipes to keep you toasty from the inside out! Its raining outside right now, so go grab yourself a cup of something hot and maybe a couple of biccies, and settle down to have a read! I hope you guys enjoy.

So for the first in the series:

Dry and chapped lips woe/ Lemon chicken soup warmer


What you will need:

stories of an english rose

3 dessertspoons lemon juice
2 eggs
4 tsps cornflour
chicken stock


I make this soup all of the time, it is so quick and simple yet comforting and yummy. This is the super simple version where I use bottled lemon juice and a chicken stock pot. You could of course go the extra mile and use fresh lemon and make your own chicken stock.

So firstly you will need to boil some water to make up your chicken stock. I have used a stock pot because they taste better than stock cubes and don't have the unnatural neon colour of a cube. 

Pour 3/4 of a pint of boiling water into a saucepan and add your chicken stock and whisk it in. Heat the stock to boiling point again.

Meanwhile break your eggs into a bowl and whisk until there are little bubbles on the surface.

Add 3 dessert spoons of lemon juice to the eggs and whisk together (you can always add more lemon later if you like)

Take the stock off of the heat, it's now time to temper your egg mixture so you don't end up with scrambled egg soup. Take a small amount of stock in a ladle and add it to your egg mixture whisking all the time, keep doing this to bring the egg mixture up to a warm temperature, and then ladle it back into the stock whilst whisking. The eggs shouldn't scramble, but the mixture will still be quite hot.

Now take 4 teaspoons of cornflour into a bowl and mix with a tiny splash of water or lemon juice to create a smooth, lump free pouring consistency. Add this to your soup and put the heat back on the lowest temperature, you don't want the soup to boil or simmer. Whisk the soup until it thickens slightly, taste to see if there is enough lemon for your liking, I always end up adding a bit more as I like the tang. 

Serve, and garnish with a little flat leaf parsley if you like!

This recipe makes about 2 bowlfuls, I make it for myself and always have a bit left over for 2nds. So just double or triple the quantities if making it for the whole family. You can also add a little cooked rice and/or shredded chicken to make it more hearty and filling.

Chicken and lemon soup




The cold weather really gets to your lips, as they have no sebum ducts of their own they dry out really easily. Plummeting temperatures and wind, plus the fact that you may lick them and saliva is very drying (yer I know it sounds gross but you know you do it!) all add to sore, chapped and flaky lips. Dry lips do not look good with your favourite dark Autumn/Winter shade of lipstick on as it will show up every imperfection! So I hear you ask, what is the best way to combat this woe?

There are several ways, it's all about finding what works best for you. I will list a variety of techniques for you to try out.

Firstly, you need to exfoliate off the dry flaky bits of skin. You can try using an old toothbrush to buff the skin off, dampen the brush slightly and use small circular motions to exfoliate your lips.
Another good method is using a flannel or better still a muslin cloth, they are scrubby enough without being too harsh that they will make your lips sore, use damp and rub gently over your pout.
Lastly, you could always use a lip scrub. The most well known one of these is currently by lush, and is a little pot of sugar scrub, they are really good and when you are done scrubbing you just lick your chops to get rid of the excess sugar!

Now you need to moisturise and protect your lips. Slap on some of your favourite lip balm to replenish the moisture, Vaseline is an oldy but a goody especially their new pink bubbly flavour which I have grown quite fond of. Carmex is another of my favourites, it's good for soothing sore lips.

In the winter always put some lip balm on your lips if nothing else before going outside. It will leave a barrier to stop the elements drying them out, and keep much needed moisture in. I always find that if I wear lipstick daily, my lips feel much better after a couple of days. I guess because it stops me licking and chewing at my lips (my worst habit, my boyfriend is always telling me to stop, but I don't even know I'm doing it half the time) and it also provides the much needed barrier I have been waffling on about. Now has there ever been a better excuse to buy and wear more lipstick? I think not!


Stories of an English rose







2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading Chris, I will check your blog out later on today. x

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love to read them