Sunday, 14 October 2012

My Skincare Story

I started to write this, and it became a mammoth post, so to ensure you don't die of old age in the process of reading it, I will split it into a couple of posts in a skincare series.

My skincare story.

I will admit something to you all, in the last few months I have become incredibly paranoid about wrinkles! It is now bordering a mild obsession and I am shocked at myself that I am turning into one of "those" people. You know the sort, the ones that buy into every anti-wrinkle cream and would rather eat their own arm than grow old gracefully and embrace their wrinkles as signs of a good life!

It is painful at how much I am worried about them, maybe because I feel too young to be getting any fine lines around my eyes and on my forehead, or maybe it's because I feel completely unprepared for this. I mean there should be classes in school for this, to inform girls that these things will happen sooner than they think. After all, aren't wrinkles for old people? It's one of those taboo subjects for people under 40 isn't it, but I honestly think that these things should be spoken about from an earlier age so you are not completely sidelined (like I was) when these little buggers start showing up when you look in the mirror and you recoil in horror!

Girls, in my opinion should be taught from a young age to cleanse, tone and moisturise and anti-wrinkle creams should be used more as prevention rather than a lame attempt at curing the problem. Because lets be honest here, once the wrinkles have set in, you are on a slippery slope trying to turn back the clock and make them less noticeable, let alone struggling in vain at actually trying to get rid of them!

So now I am aware of the wrinkles that are creeping in, I have been wearing my sunglasses more, I would rather cover my face and look like a complete twit than squint my eyes if the sun is too bright. I instantly stop frowning as soon as I'm aware that I'm doing it and smooth my forehead with my fingers somehow convincing myself this will help. I have been slapping on anti-wrinkle day cream and using eye cream for the first time in my life. Should I not have started all of this earlier?

I am after all, a daughter to a woman who has always used soap and water to wash her face insisting that she has oily skin so it will be ok! I was never taught a good skincare routine as a child, and so I never really knew any better or got into the habit of doing it. Sure I read all those teen mags that told you to cleanse, tone and moisturise and drink plenty of water, but I think the best way for young girls to get into the habit of doing it is to watch their mothers and be actively encouraged to look after their skin. I was one of those youngsters that was more interested in make-up than I was skincare, never understanding the importance of it.

I hit my teens and started to get a few skin problems so used the typical teen products like Clearasil which looks and smells a bit like nail polish remover. It honestly never did me any good, so I gave up and have practically struggled with my skin ever since. I tried all of those different types of anti-blemish washes, to no avail. So I continued to sink more and more into make-up and trying to cover up my skin and hide behind a mask of foundation and concealer.

I was always told that I would grow out of it, well if that's the case I am still waiting for that day. How much older do I need to be in order to outgrow my teenage like skin? In my early twenties I would spend hours on the internet researching "miracle" products, and buying products like freederm, which didn't help me at all. I had read reviews for products like creme de la mer being a lifesaver for people who suffered with bad skin, but the price tag was extremely hefty. So I carried on my search thinking there must be another way.


creme de la mer, stories of an english rose

I will continue this series on my skincare story, so be sure to check back to read about what I tried next. The second post will be up shortly!



1 comment:

  1. There’s a remedy for wrinkles so you don’t have to worry anymore. Skin care should really start while you are young, the earlier the better. You should have consulted with your dermatologist before instead of trying different skin products that might have caused unwanted effects on your skin. Anyway, it’s not yet too late. You can still do something to turn it around.

    -Francis Powers

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love to read them