Monday, 13 August 2012

Best foot forward

Hello lovely people, I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. I had one of those perfect lazy days yesterday, my boyfriend and I went into town to get coffee and breakfast. I had a lovely mocha frappacino and an almond croissant (yum) whilst we mooched around the shops in the beautiful sunshine. We went into a great little art supply store and I got some gorgeous paper, and I spent ages looking at make-up and my poor boyfriend sat outside eating his yogurt and granola to occupy himself.

Anyway, the point of this post is to share with you the little pedi I do on myself when I change my nail polish on my feet.

What you will need:
  • Nail varnish remover
  • Cotton wool
  • Bowl/footspa/some kind of water vessel
  • Bubble bath or foot soak
  • Body or foot scrub
  • Towel
  • Nail file
  • Foot file or rasp
  • Nail clippers
  • Cuticle pusher
  • Foot cream or moisturiser
  • Nail varnish
  • Base coat

foot creamOnce you have removed your old nail varnish with remover and cotton wool, grab your foot spa or old washing up bowl etc. (If you have neither of those then run yourself a warm shallow bath and you can perch on the edge, just remember to sit on a rolled up towel or cushion or your bum will start to hurt). Fill your bowl with warm water and add your choice of bubble bath or foot soak, I really like the foot soak by OPI. Grab yourself a magazine and put some music on and pop your feet in the water and relax for 5-10 minutes. After your tootsies have had a little soak give them a good rub all over with your scrub, the courser the grain of the scrub the better as the skin on your feet is quite thick and hard.
foot rasp
Now take your feet out and wrap them in a nice fluffy towel, if doing this in the winter put your towel on a radiator before putting your feet into soak. A warm towel is one of life's little pleasures.
When your feet are dry file any hard skin with a foot file or foot rasp, the warm water should have softened it so it will make this part easier.
The foot rasp pictured is from Nailtopia.co.uk.


Now use your cuticle pusher to gently push back your cuticles while your feet are warm, the skin should be soft and easy to push back. The slather your feet in moisturiser and massage it in well to improve circulation and make your skin look nice. I love Avojuice by OPI, they come in amazing fragrances. My favourite being Coconut & Melon Juicie, it smells gorgeous!

Trim your nails straight across with your clippers, then use a nail file to smooth the edges and shape your nails. At this point I often use a 3 way buffer to smooth over the surface of the nail and buff out any ridges so you get a lovely smooth surface for your polish, but you can skip this step if you like. You need to "squeak" your nails now to remove any residue of products that will prevent your polish from clinging to your nail. Take a little nail varnish remover on a cotton pad and just rub it over the surface of all your nails, and now you're ready for your base coat. Once this is dry paint on your nail varnish and your feet are looking gorgeous and are ready to party!

My current favourite colour to wear on my toes is Hampstead Heath by Nails INC, a lovely rich berry colour that looks really classy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, I love to read them